This past Sunday, I went to a big Christian concert held in many cities over the country. There are always a few bands there that I really look forward to but there is one band I do not look forward to. They are a hard rock band that really popular. I've never stayed for their part of the show and with them being last on the line up it's an easy escape from the massive crowd and traffic jam that is soon to follow at the concert's end. But this year my friend and I decided to stay for a bit of their show.
I knew what to expect from the music..........loud bomb noises, fire, screaming.........but having not seen them in concert I have to say I got upset with what I saw. I saw people totally dressed in black with black eye makeup.....one member wearing a scary iron mask........I saw teens and kids as young as my son who were quiet the whole concert jump up and scream, cry and raise their hands in the air......videos streaming in background of zombies, monsters and the grim reaper.....and I am sitting there thinking "What the crap is this??? This has NOTHING to do with Jesus!!!"
We stayed for three songs, two bomb blasts and two fire scorchers..........and I left upset. And I did what every normal person does.........posted my dissatisfaction on Facebook. I quickly had to delete my post because two friends loved or had kids who loved Skillet!! Why?? What is it about them? They don't look like what we may picture as a Christian.......sing like a Christian should sing.........
I stayed up pretty late that night asking God what He thought about this group.....am I wrong for thinking how I do? PLEASE show me!!! I watched YouTube videos of this group and saw nothing of Jesus. How can this be a Christian band???
Well..........the next morning He told me.....
Although the group didn't speak Jesus' name in their songs or dress as a "good Christian" should they did present the gospel between every single song........but I was so upset I failed to hear that. I also was reminded by God of the teens standing in front of me with piercing everywhere and the boy who wore a belt that said something about liking "boobies". These kids who probably walked up from UTC to hear a cheap concert on the weekend, invited to come hear this "cool" band called Skillet.........having no idea they would hear about Jesus as well.
I felt really convicted........and sad..........
We are living in a world where no one wants to recognize Jesus and will run or try to change anything that has to do with Him (ex. Christmas trees now holiday trees). Kids who are surrounded with the feeling that they are "monsters" and should "die tonight".....but here is a group who dresses like the world and sings what they are feeling............."Monsters" and "Don't Die Tonight" being two of these songs...........and maybe, just maybe.......these songs will bring these kids looking for acceptance and hope to a Skillet concert and maybe see behind all the makeup and zombies and bombs that there is more to this life.......
Thank you God for opening my Balaam eyes to see...............
No comments:
Post a Comment