My family has been visiting churches around the area. Today we went to my inlaws' church to hear a pastor who they are considering as their own. I really liked what he spoke today and wanted to share....with a bit of a thought of my own.
The scripture is from 1 Kings 19:1-13
Ahab told Jezebel everything that Elijah had done and how he had killed all the prophets with the sword. So Jezebel sent a messenger to Elijah saying "May the gods punish me and do so severely if I don't make your life like the life of one of them by this time tomorrow!" Then Elijah became afraid and immediately ran for his life. When he came to Beersheba that belonged to Judah, he left his servant there, but he went on a day's journey into the wilderness. He sat down under a broom tree and prayed that he might die. He said "I have had enough! Lord, take my life for I am no better than my fathers." Then he lay down and slept under the broom tree.
Suddenly, an angel touched him. The angel told him, "Get up and eat." Then he looked, and there at his head was a loaf of bread baked over hot stones, and a jug of water. So he ate and drank and lay down again., Then the angel of the Lord returned for a second time and touched him. He said "Get up and eat, or the journey will be too much for you." So he got up, ate, and drank. Then on the strength from that food, he walked 40 days and 40 nights to Horeb, the mountain of God. He entered a cave there and spent the night.
Then the word of the Lord came to him and He said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" He replied, "I have been very zealous for the Lord God of Hosts, but the Israelites have abandoned Your covenant, torn down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. I alone am left and they are looking for me to take my life. Then He said "Go out and stand on the mountain in the Lord's presence." At that moment, the Lord passed by. A great and mighty wind was tearing at the mountains and was shattering cliffs before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was a voice, a soft whisper. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped is face in his mantle. and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave.
In chapter 18, Elijah was seen speaking up for God to the Israelites. The Israelites had turned their backs against God and were worshiping Baal. Through an altar, a sacrifice, water and fire, Elijah proved bravely that God is the only God and had the priests teaching falsely against God executed.
All was going well for Elijah! People were turning back to God......the prophet was succeeding in his job for the Lord. But as soon as triumph comes, heartaches quickly followed. The queen Jezebel was angered that the religion she cherished so much was trumped. She wanted revenge and wanted it by tomorrow. Elijah was a wanted man........ a dead one at that. Instead of turning to God for help, Elijah fell into depression and gave up.
Isn't that like it is with us? I struggle with this constantly. Satan knows just exactly how to stop each of us in our tracks....physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.
The last 2 years I have really battled with all of those symptoms. I couldn't understand why this situation was happening to me. I was faithfully working in my church, doing what God wanted me to do.....then BOOM.....I got the biggest disappointment of my life. Like Elijah, I ran to my "broom tree" so physically tired I hated to get out of bed, mentally confused as to why I was being falsely accused for something I considered was an act of just being polite and friendly, emotionally shattered where all I could do was cry and live in fear, and spiritually hurt because I felt like God didn't care about me or my reputation. Two years flew by and nothing had changed for me. Elijah and I both fled to our little caves, shutting ourselves from the world so we couldn't be hurt again........blind to the fact we really were not alone as we thought....nor as weak as we thought.
In James 1:2-4, James tells us to consider it joy when we face hard times. That is the most insane thing to say isn't it? How can you feel joy when the world seems to be ending for you? He goes on to say this testing of your faith produces endurance. The whole time I was wallowing around in my depression, I did not in the least bit feel like I had any ounce of endurance in me. But God was providing me bread from hot stones and a jug of water but I couldn't see it. All I could see was the wind, earthquake and fire of destruction to my little happy world............and blaming God for not stopping it. Only God wasn't in that wind, that earthquake or that fire. All that happened ahead of Him.......He saw it all......but He did not cause it. True, He had the power to stop it but He didn't either. But you know what.......the whole time that pain passed by me I was not alone. Nor was Elijah. After all the hurt and scary things passed, Elijah heard a soft whisper. Can you hear a whisper far away? No. A whisper can only be heard by the one who is closest to you.......and Elijah heard the whisper of God and he bravely came out of his cave.
Looking back......although the situation isn't resolved fully for me as much as I would like......God has used this situation to make me strong. He is preparing me each day for the next battle of Satan......one that I hope next time I can continue walking through the wind, earthquake and fire without stopping.......slowing down........or retreating to my cave. With my sword of truth to physically protect me, my breastplate to guard my emotional heart, my helmet to guard my worrying mind and the whisper that is never is too far to make me spiritually encouraged...........I feel I am just a bit more stronger soldier to serve my Lord. I hope I make Him proud :-)
Liana, your Papaw Elliott preached this very same sermon Sunday!
ReplyDelete